Court of Appeals
Burton A. Scott
District II (1980-1991); Chief Judge (1983-1989)
Burton A. Scott was elected to District II in 1980, was reelected in 1986, and served as chief judge from 1983 to 1989. He retired from the bench in 1991 and became associate dean of the National Judicial College at the University of Nevada in Reno. His term as dean ended in 1994 and he retired from the National Judicial College the following year.
Born in Hazel Green in 1935, he attended high school in Randolph and served in the U.S. Army from 1953 to 1956. At the University of Wisconsin-Madison he earned his bachelor of arts degree in 1960 and his law degree in 1963. After a year in private practice and a year as Kenosha County corporation counsel, he advanced through several local government posts before arriving at the Court of Appeals: Kenosha city attorney, 1965-70; Kenosha County district attorney, 1971-72; Kenosha County judge, 1972-78; and circuit judge, 1978-80. In 1988 he served as chair of the National Council of Chief Judges of the Courts of Appeals of the United States. During retirement while wintering in Alabama, he worked with Habitat for Humanity to build eight homes.
Burton Scott and Evelyn C. Magnuson of Superior were married in 1957. He died in 2007 at the age of 72 at their home in Somers. They had a daughter, Kifflie, and a son, David.